Sunday, December 15, 2013

Music to listen to when it's raining outside,

lets start somewhere easy. somewhere.... comfortable.

I'm an introvert. I have always been the type of person who likes to be alone, who craves solitude just so I can become... well, myself again.
I always known this growing up.                I have a large family and we would have dinners for birthdays, holidays and really ANY occasion  quite often.        I would frequently leave a family gathering after about an hour to be by myself because the saturation of human interaction was just too much for me too understand: why I felt lonely, when I was around other people.

   It was most definitely a weird feeling, growing up. Knowing that something about you, made you different than other people. It wasn't that I ever DISLIKED other people... I liked my friends at school, I loved my family, but there always came a time in the day that I had enough of them.... and I needed to be by myself,       for some reason.   I didn't realize why when I was a kid. But I needed to be alone ..... when I did retreat to my room, I usually put on music, laid on my bed, relaxed. Or I would make something, a poem, a drawing... Or more often than not, I would          just           sit         there.     alone.      until I felt O.K. enough to head back into a room filled with people.

Don't misunderstand me: I've NEVER felt uncomfortable with my family. I've never felt like they didn't love or support me in my life. I always knew I was the "blacksheep" in the family, but I never felt like I didn't belong with them.  No matter what I did, or what I tried, or when I tried something drastically different... I always knew they were there to support me.  And I have a feeling they knew I was introverted before I figured it out for myself.

As an adult, being introverted in a customer service job is tricky. I am very friendly, chatty and outgoing in day-to-day life, but I find that I need more down time after work than I ever used to. I go days without speaking to friends or family, not even texting. Its just too much for me some days.                 To help me out, I have become an athlete: I run, I practice yoga, and I lift. All these things give me an excuse to be by myself and work on just me.  Side benefits of these activities include, but are not limited to:

  • A healthier lifestyle = leading to healthier life choices (food, drink etc)
  • A voracious appetite for fresh air
  • A healthy grasp on setting and acheiving goals
  • And not to mention a major self-esteem boost and positive body image
So there you have it.   growing up and becoming the introverted person I am. Next step, tell you how I love meeting people, and the in-between "kate-time" when I crave human interaction. 

all in good time.

xoxo
Kate






No comments:

Post a Comment